Welcome to the HASTI Website!
Hoosier Association of Science Teachers, Inc.
The purpose of HASTI is the advancement, stimulation, extension, improvement, and coordination of science education in all fields of science at all educational levels.
Updates and Reminders!
HASTI Needs a New Executive Director
After many years of service, Executive Director Ed Frazier will be retiring in May, and we are looking for a new Executive Director beginning June 1, 2015. Those interested should send a letter of introduction and supporting information/evidence of success for the tasks listed in the responsibility description below via email to the HASTI President, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsibilities of the Executive Director
- Serve as the Custodian of the Association Bylaws and Operating Policies
- Order/pickup plaques for recognition awards
- Prepare the Board of Directors book for new board members
- Serve as the contact person for HASTI with the National Science Teachers Association and other organizations
- Prepare HASTI's information for the NSTA Handbook
- Provide historical perspective of the Association
- Serve on the HASTI Conference Committee; attend conference and assist as necessary
- Past President Luncheon at HASTI Conference: Coordinate with conference planner on luncheon details; keep database of Past Presidents; send out invitations and keep record of those attending; assist current President as host of the luncheon.
No Child Left Behind - NSTA Needs Your Help
From David Evans, NSTA Executive Director
The U.S. Senate and House of Representatives are currently working to reauthorize (rewrite) No Child Left Behind. Please contact your members of Congress immediately, and ask them to make STEM education a national priority. At the Legislative Action Center of the STEM Education Coalition website, you can send a letter to your elected representatives, asking them to:
- Maintain a strong focus on science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education
- Continue the focus on math and science as required elements of any state's accountability system
- Provide states with dedicated funding to support STEM-related activities and teacher training
It is urgent that educators take a moment to write your elected officials, and send this message to colleagues and networks in your school district.
Thank you for your action and support. This is a critical time for education policy, and I believe we must stand together and let our voices be heard. Please contact Jodi Peterson at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
Resources for Science Teachers
Download talks from HASTI 2015 General Session Speakers!
Download Dr. Briana Pobiner's talk The Real Paleodiet: What Our Ancestors Ate and How We Know
Download Dr. William McComas' talk The Nature of Science: Reconsidering What We Think About How Science Works
Interested in other professional development opportunities? Be sure to check out our Upcoming Events!
Have an event you want to share with the HASTI community? Submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are proud to announce that longtime HASTI member Joe Ruhl has been selected by the NSTA to receive the 2015 Robert E. Yager Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award